Monday, May 9, 2011

Oh Frankie....

As I crawl in the Virtual Dumpster I call the Internet....

  • I have added an Eagle watch comment box below the video. Please leave a note of what you see.
  • I have also included a global gas price list in USD on my sidebar. You won't feel depressed unless you look at the price of gas in Venezuela! That would be a place to visit and rent a 4x4 or just ATV the beaches..with no guilt!



 Fast Five is out in the theaters. It takes place in Rio De Janeiro, Brazil. I believe it will be a good one. I will watch it today.

Trivia: The string bikini was invented in Brazil.
I was fortunate to have visited and toured Rio when my father took an overseas slot with USAID to work at the University in the southern most state of Brazil. Where the Gauchos come from and rich in Agriculture. My dad was an Agricultural Economist. He actually had a British Protégé named Mark Dadd who my sister and I were all in love with because he spoke like the Beatles...but when he got drunk at a house party, he puked in our bathroom and we suddenly fell out of love with him. Mark Dadd ended up being like the Secretary of Agriculture in Britain. Sometime in the 90's I was watching TV and the hoof and mouth thing was a problem with their cattle or rumored. I see the older version of my former child crush on the boob tube talking about British Beef....

Their jazz music is awesome. Sinatra joined up with song writer Jobim to sing this lovely song of the era I live there that of course has been immortalized by Frankie. Jobim and Frankie changed the lyrics of the song to almost have the same idea, but not so directly as the literal translation but in English does the job. One of my favorite jazz songs from there and very popular you may remember it back in the day...

I, too, would be there going "Oh Frankie". He is truly immortal!

One of the most beautiful cities (and friendly people) in the World. I was only 14 when I got to tour it on our way back to the states. We stayed 3 days in a luxury Hotel famous when the Rat Pack days were going on.
My mom really felt like Princess Grace being there. Hotel Gloria  (virtual tour link) with a lovely view of  the Sugar loaf.  The famous Ipanema Cocacabana beaches are to the right of the panorama and cannot be seen in the above photo. The mountain with the statue of Christ (125ft tall) that is above the city is called the Corcovado (the hunchback). Truly spiritual!

A Brazilian singer named Joao Gilberto who has a soft smooth voice with guitar is a version I prefer



The Sinatra song is more like a version than a translation.
Below is just the first verse. The word "wave" is mentioned in the second verse from the original language...basically the last words... a wave arises from the sea and  the stars we forgot to count as love will leave you surprised when at night we get involved.


Direct translation:
Song title: "I'll Count for You"

I'll count for you, your eyes right now that cannot see
Things that only the heart can understand
The fundamental is same my love, it is impossible to be happy alone
The rest is (like) the sea, in whole of which I can not count....
The beautiful things, That I have to give to you
The fundamental is same my love, it is impossible to be happy alone
The word "wave" is mentioned in the second verse from the original language...basically the last words... a wave arises from the sea and  the stars we forgot to count as love will leave you surprised when at night we get involved.


Americanized Translation with Sinatra:

Song Title: "Wave"

So close your eyes for that's a lovely way to be
Aware of things your heart alone was meant to see
The fundamental loneliness goes
Whenever two can dream a dream together
You can't deny
Don't try to fight the rising sea
Don't fight the moon the stars above
and don't fight me
The fundamental loneliness goes
Whenever two can dream a dream together

2 comments:

Tim Chaney said...

8:27AM Mama is sheading up a fish for the chickies. I hope you got to see. The best part the other day was the fact she returned to the nest while I was looking and really did startle me : )

Bluezy said...

I rearranged my blog so that the babies would no be so far of a scroll. I didn't see the Mother for the times I watched so I logged into Ustream chat to ask if anybody had seen her and one said "Oh I saw both the Mom and Dad together earlier".
One day when nobody is dominating the living room TV I am going to just play music and have it on the big screen and see what a whole day can bring.