Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Cup Of Tea?

As I crawled the Virtual Dumpster I call the Internet...

I was researching folklore and such and came across the art of Tasseography~Tea Leaves Reading!
When I google Tasseography I got about 46,800 results (0.09 seconds)!

 I was surprised with the very informative links and there are "how to videos" and easy to read cups that are mapped!

I picked out a few to share.

 
"Tasseography (also known as tasseomancy or tassology) is a divination or fortune-telling method that interprets patterns in tea leaves, coffee grounds, or wine sediments".[wiki]
Wiki-How has a very well organized how to in 9 steps and a video!

And of course Tasseography has a dot com!!  It has an enormous symbol guide and step by step instructions. They also sell...ah hah! TEA!!

Tasseography is a form of Divination:

"Divination was considered a pagan practice in the early Christian church. Later the church would pass canon laws forbidding the practice of divination. In 692 the Quinisext Council, also known as the Council in Trullo in the Eastern Orthodox Church, passed canons to eliminate pagan and divination practices.Acts 16:16. Soothsaying and forms of divination were widespread through the Middle Ages. In the constitution of 1572 and public regulations of 1661 of Kur-Saxony, capital punishment was used on those predicting the future. Laws forbidding divination practice continue to this day". [wiki]

Searches related to Tasseography:  tasseography symbols, tasseography history, tasseography coffee, tasseography cups, tasseography dictionary, tasseography books, tasseography symbol meaning, tasseography wiki.

There are actually cheater cups and they are antiques back in the days of casual spiritualism, I believe it was Victorian era like the historical times of great works by drug addicts...(wait...when did that ever stop?)...Well definitely pre-prohibition. Seance parties and stuff...





I decided to try my eye at it:







A.D.I.D.A.S.?  Not really...but I do know what that means. Look it up on the wiki.

1 comment:

ateeq mughal said...

a big lol, for what else u did apart from the fortune telling stuff, talkking abt these images of "middle finger".
an easy way to express what u want
and a really in formative write up, i really enjoyed reading it. :D