Sunday, December 19, 2010

Rewind: Lunar Eclipse

SEEING MY SKIES HERE ARE CLOUDY, I WILL BE USING THE BROADCASTING LINKS BELOW
HOPE THEY ARE USEFUL TO YOU AS WELL!

Did you know there was a Daily UFO sightings site?  [link here]




I WANT TO BELIEVE 2010 by ~MadelineWoe on deviantART





Get a playlist!

Right as the clock is about to turn into the shortest day of the year-The Winter Solstice-be prepared to see a total lunar eclipse.  It will take about three and a half hours.  I posted times below.
I check regularly on the event calendar for stuff in the sky.  I like to do something when I look at the sky.  To be able to recognize some of the constellations is like a calming connect the dots game always there for me.  Hell if I know if it is anything, but an ancient dot game.  It is fun to know that something different and outstanding is about to happen.

Last year's eclipse, I was out there wanting to see it.  It was overcast. I ended up on Twitter.  Twitter is a good event sharing venue.  Seeing all the common interest viewers and they are astronomy geeks with cameras.  They share links with photos!  This year I am prepared.  I researched this and sure enough GEEKS WITH VIDEO CAMERAS!!!!

Such a lovely poster from AWB -I joined. It's free.
Astronomers without borders has BROADCASTING CHANNELS (whoop) from a list at this page
[link here] on AWB website.  I went there and linked up to a couple of channels.  They were offline.  I think it is typo that they will start broadcasting at sunset on the 21st since it starts as early as 10:33PM on the 20th in Cali.  I went to the broadcasting network called [NightSkiesNetwork]
(edited in )===>  You can get announcements of NightSkiesNetwork by joining their Yahoo group [here]
I have done so and will re-edit this blog post if it proves to be inactive.
to see if they had any broadcasters going on right now. Not a single one was online with a whole page of channels to look at....
They did have a captures page, but they were like snapshots of video. Not moving video. YouTube has video on the meteorite showers.  I went to Twitter last night and they were linking from Japan. No activity.
Here is what a meteor shower video looks like.

MAKE A WISH

You can customize your YouTube videos with different background borders at VTubeTools.com
[Click here for tutorial]
Use any image link for a background. Autoplay and loop options, too.

I follow a blog that has a pretty good low down on the lunar eclipse. There are also constellations of the month posted there.  Last month it was Ursa Major or the Plough or Big Dipper.  This month it is Cassiopeia.  The two constellations that allows one to find the North Star (Polaris).
[Link here] to read about it on Astronomical Uplands.  It is a British site at Uplands Community College.  Very comprehensive to beginners.

[Photo source]

Times for the December 20/21 lunar eclipse.
Partial eclipse starts:
Dec 21 1:33 a.m. Eastern Standard Time
Dec 21 12:33 a.m. Central Standard Time
Dec 20 11:33 p.m. Mountain Standard Time
Dec 20 10:33 p.m. Pacific Standard Time
Total eclipse starts:
Dec 21 2:41 a.m. Eastern Standard Time
Dec 21 1:41 a.m. Central Standard Time
Dec 21 12:41 a.m. Mountain Standard Time
Dec 20 11:41 p.m. Pacific Standard Time
Total eclipse ends:
Dec 21 3:53 a.m. Eastern Standard Time
Dec 21 2:53 a.m. Central Standard Time
Dec 21 1:53 a.m. Mountain Standard Time
Dec 21 12:53 a.m. Pacific Standard Time
Partial eclipse ends:
Dec 21 5:01 a.m. Eastern Standard Time
Dec 21 4:01 a.m. Central Standard Time
Dec 21 3:01 a.m. Mountain Standard Time
Dec 21 2:01 a.m. Pacific Standard Time

 List obtained at earthsky.org

[Link to Astronomy Picture of the Day at NASA-here]

1 comment:

Tim Chaney said...

Geesh, I was snoozing good at the time!